Home Menu Search

Type 2 Pension Update

Type 2 Pension Update

Please don't forget to complete your Type 2 pension contribution forms for pension contributions for financial year 2017/2018.

The deadline is rapidly approaching - 28th February 2019.

This is a condition of membership of the GP NHS pension scheme and failure to submit may result in pensionable pay provisionally set to zero for the relevant period.

It is the mechanism by which the NHS checks your pension contributions for all applicable work (see below) is correct, and paid in the correct tier. PCSE will use this information to reconcile payments received and arrange to correct any under or over payments from the previous financial year.

A Type 2 medical practitioner is:

A salaried GP formally employed by a GP practice, Alternative Provider Medical Services (AMPS) contractor or by a Local Health Board

A long-term fee based/self-employed GP who works for a GP practice, APMS contractor, Local Health Board for a period of, generally, six months or more

A GP who works solely on an employed or self-employed basis for an Out of Hours Provider that is not an NHS Trust/Foundation Trust

A practice based salaried GP who works for a CCG under a contract for services (i.e. on a self-employed basis). The CCG earnings/contributions must be declared on the self-assessment form.

A GP who is formally employed by a CCG under a contract of service (i.e. contract of employment) is an Officer and their contributions and salary are not declared on the self-assessment form.

Essentially if you are not a Type 1 GP (principal) or solely a locum you are likely to be a Type 2 GP.

The self assessment form and guidance is available here https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/member-hub/information-practitioner-locum-and-non-gp and can be submitted via the PCSE enquiries form https://pcse.england.nhs.uk/contact-us/ or by post to: Primary Care Support England, PO Box 350, Darlington, DL1 9QN.

We strongly urge you to retain a paper copy.

It is also best practice to regularly check (at least annually) your pension scheme total reward statement which is now accessible via the gov.uk verify service (which has streamlined access

Should you not have submitted Type 2 forms for previous years then please read this excellent blog about Type 2 forms amnesty. https://www.bma.org.uk/connecting-doctors/the_practice/b/weblog/posts/type-2-forms-and-annualisation-arrggghhhh