COVID-19 UPDATE BRIEFING DDLMC – 18.05.2020
Back to School Enquiries. With the Government announcement about Schools and phased reopening, we understand GP practices are receiving enquiries.
The key messages to Parents, Carers and teaching staff are as follows;
- Schools, Colleges and other educational settings are working very hard to review the government guidelines alongside their own risks assessments to determine the safety of a phased reopening of their School
- These measures are overseen by the Head Teacher, the Senior Leadership and appropriate Governing Body (or equivalent) for each School’s individual circumstances
- Parents/Carers need to work with Schools if they have individual concerns about their child
- Our understanding is that it will be parent and carers choice as to whether they feel it is safe, and not for a GP to adjudicate.
- Teachers and other employed staff will also need to work with Schools if they have concerns about their own health and whether they can safely return to Face to Face work.
- GPs have not been provided with additional/specific guidance regarding decision making for staff or students beyond current public health measures
- GP Practices will not be issuing correspondence on behalf of Parents/ Carers if they do not wish to send their Child to School or their Child is shielding for themselves, or to protect family members who are shielding and/or vulnerable.
- The government has already announced that Parents will not be fined for non-attendance at this time.
Fake PPE. How to check the PPE certificates are genuine. (Attachment #1)
Management of exposed HCWs and patients in health and social care settings. Please read the PHE guidance here with accompanied flowcharts for return to work for asymptomatic and symptomatic staff updated 15 May 2020. (Attachments #2a and 2b).
NICE Rapid Guidelines. The latest rapid guidelines published 15th May 2020 cover:
Re-use of Medications in Care Homes. Updated local guidance that has been circulated to Care Homes. (Attachments #3a, 3b, 3c, 3d, 3e,3f)
Derbyshire Medicines Management Clinical Effectiveness- Bulletin 7 update.
RCGP Screencasts - Mental Health and COVID. Two extended screencasts which includes;
- Impact of lockdown and the potential effects on patients and key workers during and after this period including recognising signs of PTSD and screening in primary care https://elearning.rcgp.org.uk/course/view.php?id=392
- Reviews factors that may contribute to mental health problems for patients, including grief, domestic abuse and increased alcohol intake. https://elearning.rcgp.org.uk/course/view.php?id=391
Coronavirus – dealing with effects. Toolkit and resources for Children.
Be more Frog….